UPDATE: Engine Noise, Power Loss

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: UPDATE: Engine Noise, Power Loss
From: "Alex Baroiant" <superman100@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:43:15 -0800
First, thanks to all those who replied.  The help and the insight is
invaluable...

I checked the Timing, it's OK

The valves are not stuck.. they move freely, and the clearances are OK
(except on Cylinder #1, they were a bit too tight. Peculiar since I had
hardened seats put in 2 years ago...)

As for the bearings:  there is no noise from the bottom end of the motor. In
fact, no odd sounds from the engine when it is operating in neutral.

Oil pressure is good.

Compression is 140 psi @ #4, 144 psi @ #3, but only about 30 psi on
cylinders #2 and #1.  Which leads me to believe that it's either the
cylinder head gasket, or the head itself.  With the Air filters off, the
front (#1) carburetor tends to spit gasoline OUT.  This tells me that there
is some kind of lead between cylinders # 1 and # 2.

Of course my reasoning could be completely wrong!

Any ideas? how can I tell if it's the gasket vs. the head? (without taking
the head off...if possible)