Tops and hood props

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tops and hood props
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 18:54:06 -0500
Finally got some time to work on the '71 B I purchased in January. The car
was (and still is) without a hoop prop when I purchased it. It was missing
everything, including the bracket on the bonnet. I purchased both the
telescoping prop and bonnet bracket, but noticed there is no bracket on the
fender to mount the bottom of the prop to. What does this bracket look like,
and exactly where should it have been placed? Strangely enough, there is a
bracket on the passenger side front fender for one of those pre-'70 style
non-telescoping props. Secondly, I noticed the top frame on my car appears
to be for a pack-away style top from a pre-'70 car (no pivot point for
folding at the attachment point located behind each door). The top on the
car is almost brand new (no rips and clear windows). A folding top would be
much more convenient, and I would like to go that route. How can I identify
if a convertible top is made for a folding frame or a pack away frame? TIA.

Craig
'71 B