Re: MGs Bad in Rain

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGs Bad in Rain
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:00:47 -0800
The worst thing about an MG in the rain is that it doesn't have A/C
connected to the defroster.  I have had cars-both GTs and
Roadsters--that leaked like crazy.   Worst was the GT, with bad
window rubbers and an antenna hole in the fender through to the
cockpit. With enough water in the cockpit, the windows fog up
immediately, and don't clear for some time.  I gave up on the back
window of the GT, though an aftermarket demisting heater grid might
have helped.  Fortunately, the front window is small and within easy
reach with a towel...

I wish you could still get the large-fin heater blower wheels.  Seven
Enterprises says the company that made them is out of business.  The
Jaguar folks say there is a faster 12v fan motor available from WW
Grainger, but I don't know if it bears any similarity to the Smiths
one Bs use.  Even if it's the same size, I imagine the mounting
bracket would have to be cobbled together.

The other related factor in wet weather driving is the tires.  I've
seen a lot of MGs that aren't driven much cruising around on ancient
rubber.  My GT came with a set of Goodyear metrics that were at least
ten years old by the production marks.  Lots of tread, but the rubber
compound had hardened up to the point that they were scary in the
wet.  My Alfa GTV-6 came to me with a seemingly good set of 12 year
old Pirelli P6s, with a similar problem.

Radials have a definite shelf life, and I've been told that they
should be replaced after 10-12 years. The most serious problem is
that the belts are also more likely to separate from the carcass as
the rubber ages.  I will now don Nomex underwear, as there are
doubtless hundreds of people who have had no problem with the
Michelin XZXs that Dad put on the car in '69...

Still, driving an MG in the rain is just how the Supreme Being and
Syd Enver intended it...
Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6