70 Engine Rebuild Status

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 70 Engine Rebuild Status
From: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 12:58:40 -0500 (EST)
Well, I took the engine (and transmission) out of the MG on saturday with
the great help of an experienced person. The pistons, rods, valves and
everything look original (never been replaced). All four pistons had
broken rings and one had a huge gouge in the cylinder wall where a
retaining ring flew or popped of and ripped the wall up. I just hope that
when the shop bores the cylinders out they dont find the gouge goes beyond
the .060 mark (as thats the biggest piston and rings sizes i know of), if
they do I guess I need a new block. The camshaft looks elegant, I still
need to check the rods for wear. I also broke the distributor guide ring
during removal but the guy who helped me has an extra. The clutch looks
perfect so that has been replaced by the DPO.

Non-Engine related problems I discovered:

* The hand brake doesn't move, up or down, whats broken and where to cause
that?
* What color to paint everything, what color was it (if it was) originally?
* Should I change the chain and tensioner?
* Should I change the rod bolts as the originals might have stretch?
* Bronze or standard valve guides?

Geoff

--
Geoffrey Gallaway || The only certainty is that nothing is certain.
geoffeg@sloth.org ||