Re: 70 Engine Rebuild Status

To: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>
Subject: Re: 70 Engine Rebuild Status
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:23:48 -0600
  I'm in the same boat with a scored cylinder wall.  Can't believe the
catalogue prices for a sleeve.  Your machine shop can make you a much
better price.

  Look at the bottom of the valve lifters.  If they aren't convex,
they're shot.  If the lifters are shot, the cam is too.  You can't tell
anything about a "good" looking cam without  micrometers or dial
indicators.   Some machine shops will offer to resurface the lifters.
I've always seen that as a false economy.  Lifters are surface-hardened;
if the wear and regrinding goes throught the hardened material they'll
wear out fast and take the cam with them.  Better to buy new lifters.
Anyhoo, if you've mixed up the lifters so that you can't put them back
in the holes they came out of, it's all moot.  I'm buying a new or
reground cam.  I note that reground "street" cams are much cheaper than
new stock cams.  I'm also planning on buying a new timing chain,
sprockets and tensioner.  Ya gotta do things right the first time or do
it over later.

  CR