Re: 70 Engine Rebuild Status

To: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 70 Engine Rebuild Status
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 07:26:18 -0600
At 12:58 PM -0500 3/6/00, Geoffrey Gallaway wrote:
>Well, I took the engine (and transmission) out of the MG on saturday with
>the great help of an experienced person. The pistons, rods, valves and
>everything look original (never been replaced). All four pistons had
>broken rings and one had a huge gouge in the cylinder wall where a
>retaining ring flew or popped of and ripped the wall up. I just hope that
>when the shop bores the cylinders out they dont find the gouge goes beyond
>the .060 mark (as thats the biggest piston and rings sizes i know of), if
>they do I guess I need a new block. The camshaft looks elegant, I still
>need to check the rods for wear. I also broke the distributor guide ring
>during removal but the guy who helped me has an extra. The clutch looks
>perfect so that has been replaced by the DPO.
>
>Non-Engine related problems I discovered:
>
>* The hand brake doesn't move, up or down, whats broken and where to cause
>that?
>* What color to paint everything, what color was it (if it was) originally?
>* Should I change the chain and tensioner?
>* Should I change the rod bolts as the originals might have stretch?
>* Bronze or standard valve guides?
>
>Geoff
>
>--
>Geoffrey Gallaway || The only certainty is that nothing is certain.
>geoffeg@sloth.org ||
>D e v o r z h u n ||                           -- Fortune Cookie
Before you buy a new block consider putting a sleeve in the cylinder.
You should also have your machine shop check the rod on that piston.
It may have a slight bend causing the clip to work loose.
--
Martha Johnson & Bob Shaw
Check this out - http://www.mlcltd.com/ - art, cars, education, music & more!