Re: Panel Kit

To: "DENNIS COX" <djc@appsig.com>, MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Panel Kit
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:29:03 -0800
Dennis,

Sounds like Moss' upholsery subcontractor screwed up.  The Anders
Clausenger book The Original MG seems to be the unimpeachable
standard on originality.  Don't know the page numbers, but it might
be worth pointing the problems out to Moss, along with a reference,
and try getting them to send you the properly trimmed panels.

The white piping on the rails, dash seems particularly tacky.  I'd
call them first, and send it back.  Don't know  how much complete
originality is important to you, but it might be preferable to get
the all-black kit if there isn't a choice.

When I got my kit, it came with a big piece of vinyl and a length of
piping.  If you are covering your own cockpit rails, you could get
them to send you just the piping.

As to installing, the pieces seemed to fit my '64 pretty well, and
some of the pre-drilled holes actually lined up with existing holes!
Finding the holes where the vinyl is wrapped around the panel,
covering the hole, was sort of a pain--poked at the back with a sharp
stick or awl, punching them out through the back, making sure I could
see the hole through the front, marking it in chalk when necessary.
On the doors I scribed the holes through onto the door, where they
didn't line up with the originals, and pre drilled, rather than drill
through the panel, to prevent the drill from catching the foam
padding.

Where the crank and door handle need to poke through, I cut a small X
in the material, but you could cut a hole if you are sure you know it
lines up.

I would put some finish or preservative in the back of the door
panels.  I found that water that gets past the door seals gets the
lower edge of the panel wet, and it does not dry quickly.  I was
concerned about the plywood getting moldy or de-
laminating.   I am experimenting with clear vinyl sheeting
silicone-glued to the door panel as a water excluder--don't know if
it really works yet.

Good luck,
Chris Attias
'64 MGB