Re: BMW commits? and is a new MG what we need?

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BMW commits? and is a new MG what we need?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:23:11 -0800
Two comments:

1) The MGF was designed by Rover before being purchased by BMW, so the
decision not to import it to the US (for whatever reason) had already
been made *in the design phase* without regard to the Z3.

2) European (read: German in pre-EU days) standards may have been equally
stringent, but if they were not written identically to US standards
(crash procedures, etc), then it is possible that it would still have
been prohibitively expensive to modify the MGF design to meet similar but
technically different US requirements.

My nickel's worth... I see no reason from the evidence to read a BMW plot
into this (although they certainly come off as less than competent in the
current fiasco).

Max (yeah, I'm back from Europe -- didn't see a single MGF)

Chris Kotting had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149