Distributor models on 79 1500 Midgets

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor models on 79 1500 Midgets
From: "James, Ray" <RayJ@civilmail.tamu.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:57:55 -0600
Greetings...

It's been a while since I darkened the stoop of this list, as I've been
reading the Triumphs list recently.  However, I am now back asking
forgiveness and looking for some MG help...

My son's 1979 Midget 1500 has suffered several recent breakdowns, with
piston damage indicative of detonation.  Our search for the cause has
led to the distributor, which now seems to be an improper model for that
car (or else I can't interpret the specs in the Chilton's manual properly.)
I hope some other 1500 Midget owners can advise me...

The distributor in the car carries a type-serial number...      45DE4-41697B
My Chiltons indicates it should have different numbers...       451DE4-41646

Now I also find a type 45DE4-41693 in the Chilton MGB listings.  The specs
for
this unit are considerably different (63 deg. total advance) than the specs
for
the 451DE4 indicated for the Midget (30 deg total advance).  This sure
seems likely as the cause of the problems we've been plagued with, but
I would like to confirm this.  Can other '79 1500 cc Midget owners
(non-California
cars) please advise me (directly to r-james@tamu.edu as well as to list) of
the
numbers they find on their distributor?

And, of course, if anyone has a good used distributor of the PROPER type for
this car, I would sure like to purchase one.  (Will trade slightly used MGB
model?)

Thanks, in advance.
Ray

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.                      Phone (409) 845-7436
Director of Student Services                       Fax (409) 845-3410
Civil Engineering Department            E-mail: r-james@tamu.edu
Texas A&M University
3136-TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3136