Help ! cylinder head to exhaust manifold stud snapped.

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help ! cylinder head to exhaust manifold stud snapped.
From: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:23:22 +0200
Good Morning MG world,

Yesterday I foolishly overtightened one of the studs on my cylinder head - one
holding the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head.

Needless to say the remains of the stud are flush with the surface of the
cylinder head.

I'd like to remove the stud with the minimum of hassle - I would be much
happier if I do not have to remove the cylinder head.

I've been told to drill a pilot hole and then drill bigger holes through the
stud to clear the thread of the remnants of the stud.

Sounds awkward to me.

Anyone got any further advice on this ?

Thanks

Louis Mehr