Re: Help ! cylinder head to exhaust manifold stud snapped.

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help ! cylinder head to exhaust manifold stud snapped.
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:25:01 -0800
George,

I have used easyouts a number of times.  There are two kinds that I have
used.  The original type looks like a coarse screw with reversed threads and
the newer (to me) kind looks like a tapered square with four sides.  Both
work well if you use the correct drill size to drill the hole in the broken
stud.  Both tighten in the stud in the direction that you would remove the
stud (reverse thread).  I normally use lots of liquid wrench or PB Blaster.
Many times I have to use a torch (propane) to heat the stud.  Take your time
and don't force it too much or the easyout can break.  They are very hard
metal and can't be drilled out when broken, but sometimes can be broken out
with a chisel.  The main secret is to turn the easyout straight in without
putting any sideways pressure on it, else it can snap off.  This can be a
problem depending on the location and how much room you have to maneuver.
If you have anything extending out past the head to get hold of, I would try
visegrips, hammer and chisel or stud remover if you have enough stud to get
hold of.  Last resort is easyout for me.  But they do work.

Dave