Re: Roll bars

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roll bars
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:50:51 +0000
Kelvin wrote:

> A roll bar will only protect a person if their body stays within the
> limited area defined by the height and shape of the hoop.

Just a quick one (haste makes bloody silly statements seem like erros,
as my mother used to say).

In case anyone picks up on it, I didn't mean to indicate that if you are
loosely strapped in then your head will get safely pushed out of the way
by the ground if you roll and your head extends past the rollbar :-)  -
travelling along the ground upside down with your head above the rollbar
means a quick FLAT TOP for you!  It was just that, when settled upside
down the car would be resting on its rollbar and not your head if the
bar was high enough, otherwise you might at least be able to hang in
your seat with you head tilted a bit so it could rest on the bar and not
your head.

Hmmmm, I had better stop while I am behind!

I have it on good advice that in many cases the 'roll' is one of the
last actions of the MG going turtle and it actually can happen quite
"gently" rather than the "flip" which lands a car flat on its top (all
these terms are relative, of course... nothing is very gemtle when you
are in a car that rolls over).

An OLD technique, when a sports car did not have any rollover
protection, was for the driver to grab the dash and pull themselves flat
to the passenger seat if the car went over (only a lap seat belt).

Oooops, I didn't stop, did I!

Eric
'68MGB MkII