Re: Roll bars

To: doddk@mossmotors.com, mtorrusi@maine.rr.com
Subject: Re: Roll bars
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:36:01 EST
In a message dated 3/29/00 4:47:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
doddk@mossmotors.com writes:

<<  All in all, installing a roll bar in a street car is a very personal
 decision.  The likelyhood that a rollbar in a street car will save your life
 IMVHO is small. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As a secondary reason to add a rollover bar, it adds to the body stiffness of
the car, and does not throw you into a higher class in most amatuer events
like autocross.  If you add a stiffer sway bar to your car in SCCA you move
from stock class up to street prepared.  Rollover bars (and racing harni
(plural of harness)) can be added to any car without changing class.  It's
not exactly the same, but it does make the body stiffer.

BTW, my '77 Midget has a rollover bar that was welded together by a PO who
apparently owned a body shop.  It's solid, and it doesn't interfere with the
hood action.  I can't tell how high it is over my head when I have my helmet
on, but maybe this year I will get some pics.

Allen Hefner #51
Philly Region Rally Steward
2000 Regional Rally Achievement Award Winner!
'77 MG Midget (FSP)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (HS)