Re: Front Hub Grease Cap

To: simbafish@home.com
Subject: Re: Front Hub Grease Cap
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:15:48 -0500
Hi Stu,
  "Packing the bearings" means to (after the bearings have been rinsed
out in uberclean kerosine and paint thinner) to squeeze grease into them,
in between the balls/rollers and the races, packing it in until it oozes
out the other side.  Then you just put a tablespoon of grease into the
hollow area of the hub and reassemble.   Don't fill the cap!  Grease is
one of those things where enough is enough and too much is trouble.   The
very earliest TDs had a grease nipple on the hubs and it caused so much
trouble that they eliminated it within months of its introduction. Too
much grease generates heat and then pushes past the seals and onto your
new, expensive, brakes.    Keep the vent hole open. It probably makes no
difference whatsoever, since none of my other cars has a hole, including
the MGB.  If it spurts grease, the hub is too full.
Bob

 to the bearings, should I also be filling the