Re: help with diagnosing carb settings?

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: help with diagnosing carb settings?
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 12:52:44 -0400 (EDT)
I did spend time with my carb on April fool's day. If all AFD were as
good. I sat down with the SU Carburetters Tuning Tips & Techniques
Brooklands Book (which I highly recommend based on the day's events) and
checked out the pretuning steps. Especially the ones that set the jet
height. I went back to the carbs and lo  and behold, the difference
between the jets could be measured at about 0.4 cms. So I set to
equalizing them. The front carb jet adjusting screw worked well, but
when I tried to move the rear j.a.s., nothing happened. Voila I said to
myself. An obvious problem.
    I used some spray I had for releasing frozen parts and after a few
moments I could move the jet. Took a bit, but when I finally got it to
move a tad, I resprayed it and that released it to be as fluid as the
other.  Resetting the pair, with trepidation, I started the engine. No
problem. Black smoke no longer eminated from the tail pipe (at least not
like it had).
     I let the engine warm up, set the idle by ear, and drove off to
visit the ex-president of the local Bitish car club. Gave me a chance to
up the RPM above 4000 and lo....no backfire. No loss of power. No
sputtering. Wow. Engine still a bit rough, but now I am in the tweaking
zone, not repair zone.

     In retrospect the clue came from the Tuning book. A pretune step is
to raise the piston with the lifting pin and the carb with the frozen
jet had a lifting pin that was difficult to move. It, too, was slightly
frozen. I lubed it to smooth out its movement and realized the piston
moved fine. Then I could see the jet easily with the lovely outcome.

     The car still backfires a bit, but nothing like before. I suspect
the timing is off some.
        Thanks to several listers for good tips. All in all a decent
April Fool's Day....and I'd love to buy a new TF!

Bill