RE: Turn Signals Quit

To: "'Greg Hanlin'" <iap6@glasscity.net>, MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Turn Signals Quit
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:53:25 -0700
Hi greg,

I was hunting turn signal bugs last weekend. If the hazards work then the
flasher is okay. If neither signals work ever it is unlikely to be the
switch (phew). You need to get the wiring diagram and trace all your failing
lights through until you find a common connection. In this case it can't the
ground on my model ('79 USA) not sure about yours, so it has to be something
between the flasher unit and the lights, probably between the flasher and
the switch. Specifically between the common connection for the signal lights
and the hazard lights between the flasher and the switch. Unfortunately i
don't have my diagram to hand so i can't be more helpful. The most likely
problem will be that one of your connectors has got corroded or
disconnected. In the haynes manual the connectors are indicated by little
rectangles with dashed lines through them, and the wiring diagram sort of
(but not really) corresponds to their position in the car. Check the ones in
the engine compartment first (they're the easiest to get to, just below the
fuse box). A voltmeter helps diagnosis no end!

happy hunting

Joe

Dr. Joseph Garner
University of California