Re: 79 B HP Rating

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 79 B HP Rating
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:58:37 -0400
Max said:

>MGB horsepower through the years, from R&T test data:
>
>1963 - 94hp @ 5500
>1966 - 98 @ 5400
>1968-71 - 92 @ 5400
>1973 - 79 @ 5350
>1976 - 62.5 @ 5000
>1979 - 62.5 @ 4600
>1980 - 67 @ 4900
>
>All figures are SAE Gross HP. The only Net figure available is for the
>1980 (50 HP Net).
>
>The high point was reached in the early 5-main engine, before air
>injection was mandated in 1968. The low point was 1975-76, according to
>performance data -- by 1979 acceleration was improved despite the same HP
>rating (HP peak was at lower RPM).
>
>These data seem to indicate that, while emissions equipment certainly had
>a deleterious effect on HP, the big drop came with the substitution of
>the single Z-S carburetor for the twin SUs.

Does this imply that the effect of plugging the air injection manifold (and
removing the thus useless airpump) is an immediate raising of HP?
Substantially?

Or were there alterations in the cylinder / exhaust system that also must be
fixed in order to turn a later engine into an earlier setup?  My interest is
for my '68 Sprite, which has been desmogged (but not yet restarted. #:-<  )
I have a set of set screws to seal up the injection ports, but I am not
certain if there are other small modifications that were made between the
earlier and later A-series 1275s.

An aside:  I have an Allen wrench to tighten the set screws.  What is the
etymology of the term "Allen" wrench?  Any ideas, Allen?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite