Re: obligatory leaks under the dash

To: MJones@ngl.ca, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: obligatory leaks under the dash
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:03:18 EDT
In a message dated 4/20/00 10:05:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, MJones@ngl.ca
writes:

<< You mention about the leaks under dash onto your feet and those of a
 passenger.  Do you have any idea as the where it may be coming from?  I have
 the same thing with my GT and have not yet investigated closely where it is
 coning from but I'm guessing it is coming in around the wiper pivot mounts.
 What do you think? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's tough to say for sure.  Water has a way of seeping thru any small
opening, then running around, finding the path of least resistance, and
dripping on the most uncomfortable part of your anatomy.

You might want to put the car in the driveway on a nice sunny day and blast
it with the hose (duplicating the type of rain that creates a leak) until it
leaks.  Then open the bonnet and see if you can see where the water is
running.  You can't really do this on a rainy day, because as soon as you
open the bonnet, everything gets wet destroying the evidence.

I was suspecting my pedal box on the driver's side, but I had no idea the
passenger's side was leaking until last Saturday.  Wipers seem to be a safe
bet, but it could be thru other mounting holes for the fuse block or whatever.

I don't think my leak is worth all the trouble of tracking.  If it is the
wipers, I really don't want to pull the dash and whatever else just for a
coupla drips.  besides, if you get rid of every problem in the car, it loses
all it's "character."

Good luck.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward