Re: still no go 77B

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: still no go 77B
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:33:50 -0500
Paul Hunt wrote:

> If it only starts and runs with the key in the start position i.e. it dies
> when the key is returned to the run position then the ballast circuit is
> broken (the solenoid bypasses the ballast when cranking).  The wire is of a
> similar resistance to the coil i.e. about 1.5 ohms.

My apologies up front for being unfamiliar with the MG ballast setup. I've
worked on lots of different ballast setups. Some use a special terminal on
the starter to accomplish the switchover, but I assume the B is typically
Lucas, so I suspect it will be switched by the ignition/starter switch. This
leads me to recommend that you check the switch first, since it has moving
parts that can wear and contacts that can get corroded or dirty, so is more
likely to fail than the resistor in the loom.

If the B is like the Minis in this way, there won't be an actual resistor in
the loom, but instead there will be a (pink?) resistive wire in that part of
the circuit.

I always remove the ballast hookup on my LBC's (if mounted) and wire the
coil direct, bypassing the ballast setup, and then mount a non-ballast 12v
sports coil. They have all started easily and run sweet this way. The
ballast setup is there to keep you running when everything gets dodgy; I
would rather have it fail so I can fix it.

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com
Rocky's Mini Cooper Page: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6437/