Re: [Fwd: Historic Plates -Reply]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Historic Plates -Reply]
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 07:56:14 -0400 (EDT)
You NJ and MA folks surely endure some rather restrictive laws vis a vis
your antique plates.

Here in PA we are confronted with the "usual" restrictions, but there is
a "no more than once a week" rule which saves us.  My take on the intent
of this is to forbid use for commuting to work, or any kind of regular
daily use, without dictating the particulars of reasons the car _is_
permitted on the road.  Thus a "Sunday drive" is fine as long as it
really happens no more frequently than one time per week.

To me this seems a fairer law given the diversity of preferences and
reasons for use found in the hobby population today.  For some folks the
"Sunday drive" might be their preferred use for their car.  A fair law,
IMO, takes this into account.  The intent of the law should be to
restrict the frequency and/or duration of use.  Smart legislators can
accomplish this without dictating one's _purpose_ for use.

Bruce Burrows

'59 MGA basket case
'60 Daimler SP 250
'61 Daimler SP 250