How to get cured...sort of... (was beware of I love you)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: How to get cured...sort of... (was beware of I love you)
From: Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 06:10:52 -0700 (PDT)
I hope you are familiar with your registry.

You need to remove a couple of theings from your registry first.
If you open regedit and do a find on www.sky this should bring back the
start page for your browser. You want to delete that value from the key.
After you have deleted that value, press the F3 key again until you find
nothing more.
The next thing you want to search for is MSKernel32.vbs. You want to remove
this value then follow the previous instructions (F3 until nothing more).
Do a search for Win32dll.vbs...I doubt you'll find it in the registry but
best to look.
Then reboot your system. Once it's back up, you want to go to the C:\winnt
directory and delete the file Win32dll.vbs. Then you want to go to the
directory
c:\winnt\system32 and delete the file MSKernel32.vbs.
Once this is done, you want to search your hard drive for *.vbs. You will
want to look for any .vbs that resembles "ILoveYou" and delete it.
The next thing you want to do is right click on your web browser icon and
select properties from the drop list. you need to edit your start page to
anything other than what it is. (The virus placed a web address that would
run a password stealing program when you initialized your browser. The sites
have been shut down but there is no reason to risk it.)

Finally, Norton has an update for this virus. I would recommend going to
their website and downloading it or updating via the live update method.
After you have downloaded the cure...run it against your system to finish
cleansing your system of virus leavins :o).
You may have some files that are corrupt from the virus but should be
harmless. The virus effects JPGs as well as MP3 and other multimedia files.

Stay aware...People have already changed the fingerprint of this virus and
are resending it. Watch out for "HappyMothersDay", "This is funny", and
"Joke".

Good luck to all and always be weary of emails with attachments. :o))

Dan Dwelley
Senior Consultant
USinternetworking, Inc.

Dan Dwelley