air filter for HIF<SZ conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: air filter for HIF<SZ conversion
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 07:30:38 -0400 (EDT)
I've replaced the Stromberg-Zenith with a pair of HIF's on my 76B and
expected to use a pair of K&N thin air filters because I've seen this
conversion work.

Unfortunately, for reasons I have no clue about, the rear filter is
blocked from seating by the brake booster.  I have three options at this
point.

1. Ask you all if there exists a thinner air filter than the K&N pair?
or
2. thin (mill) the distance pieces down enough for the filter to fit
(which, of course, entails all that other enjoyment like removing the
carbs, etc.)
 or
3. run without air filters.

Opinions???