MGB Heater Water Control Valve - Bad Engineering and Design

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB Heater Water Control Valve - Bad Engineering and Design
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 19:43:05 -0400
Once again, my ire is raised by the unbelievable placement and construction
of the Heater Water Control Valve on the MGB.

What kind of thinking was it that placed a part prone to failure that
contains liquid coolant directly over the source of electrical energy to
make our cars run?  It was truly diabolical!

A valve that was installed new less than 2 years ago let go yesterday.  I'm
just glad it happened now and not 3 weeks ago on the track at Lime Rock.

I did the usual quick-fix for the short-term: Dry out the distributor, keep
the valve closed (heat off when I could have used it today) and leave the
radiator pressure cap loose (at the first detent) to prevent pressure build
up.  A replacement valve is already on its way.  BUT, there must be a better
way!

Anyone on the list ever try an alternative setup?  Perhaps a valve from some
other car that is less prone to failure?  Maybe a deplumed line to the
heater?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB daily driver/occasional vintage racer