Re: MGB Heater Water Control Valve - Bad Engineering and Design

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Heater Water Control Valve - Bad Engineering and Design
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows)
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 16:18:10 -0400 (EDT)
--WebTV-Mail-15522-3528

I agree a good valve does not leak and will last for years.

But I still recall something which happened to me years ago when I was a
much younger and far less experienced MG owner than I am today.  It was
a warm day and I was driving home in my MGA.  The heater water control
valve never had leaked and it had been working well for a few years.  It
had not attracted my attention in any way.

I still have the broken crankshaft which resulted when the valve,
completely unknown to me as I drove along, let go and vented my coolant.

Though this happened many years ago, I can remember it was not a happy
day that day.

Bruce Burrows

'59 MGA basket case
'60 Daimler SP 250