Re: Fwd: LBC (but not Spridget) help

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: Fwd: LBC (but not Spridget) help
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:38:27 -0400
Larry,
  Another good book to own is T-Series Handbook, published by MG T
Register, PO Box 220, Oneonta, NY. You would benefit from joining the
Register too.
  According to some info in that book, TF #s began with chassis # TF 0501
on 17 Sept 1953 and ended with #TF10100 on 4 April, 1955.   This does
make the number you cited appear suspiciously high.  The TD's chassis #
is stamped into the left side of the left dumb iron.  Check there,
perhaps the TF's # is in the same place.
  The car # is set up with HDPnn/nnnn  which works out this way:
       HD shows that it's an MG TF two seater
       F     shows paint color
        first n   shows market for which the car was destined--US, home
market, etc
        2nd n   shows type of paint used, cellulose, synthetic, enamel
        /             just takes up space
        nnnn     are the four (or five) digets that show the chassis #.

    It's possible that the # on the plate is the engine #--look for an
octagonal plate on the right side of the engine about 3 inches back from
the front engine mount.
Bob