Re: Octain booster and compression ratios

To: "DENNIS COX" <djc@appsig.com>, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Octain booster and compression ratios
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 16:20:09 -0700
That does sound high, but so long as you're not pinging, it doesn't
matter. I think run-on can be a symptom of a rich mixture, as well
(carbon build-up in the cylinders), so you might want to check that. My
experience with octane boost products led me to conclude that it is a
heck of a lot cheaper and less hassle to just dial in a few degrees less
advance, if you are having detonation problems. Unless you carry a case
of the stuff in the trunk, you will eventually be caught filling up
somewhere in the boonies with none available; and you are always winding
up in the situation where you are trying to figure out how much booster
do you add if you only buy $10 worth of gas.

Usually it is sold in a size where you empty the whole bottle (12oz ?)
into a tankful. Of course, this is designed for Detroit size gas tanks.
The problem is, the stuff is so nasty (read the ingredients sometime) you
don't really want open bottles of it rolling around in the trunk.
Personally, I'd look at other approaches first -- I really can't see
where a basically stock MGB engine would need octane booster (my
experience was with a high performance V8) if you were running 92 octane
premium unleaded. If you're not, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to
run premium than octane booster.

DENNIS COX had this to say:

--

Max Heim