Two steps forward, one step back

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Two steps forward, one step back
From: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 18:03:27 -0400 (EDT)
Well, I got the brake lights working (the brake light wires were cut, no,
I have no idea why you would want to do that) and the new windshield
wipers put on.

I also put a new left (turn signals, horn, headlights) stalk on which
required removing the cover. While I was putting the new cover on the
cream colored part of the ignition switch just popped off. Along with it
came a white piece of plastic, a spring and a ball bearing. The white
piece was cracked, the contacts very worn down and the little ball bearing
somewhere in the drivers footwell. I ordered a new assembly (stearing
wheel lock, ignition switch and key barrel) all together as one piece from
Moss Motors (who have knowledgable sales people, as opposed to Victoria
British who didn't know what car I was talking about). It looks like
removing and replacing the assembly is very easy. I simply drill out the
old shear bolts and the entire assembly should pop off. I don't need to
take the entire stearing wheel apart, do I? Has anyone ever done this and
how much of a pain is it?

Geoff

--
Geoffrey Gallaway || What kills you makes me stronger.
geoffeg@sloth.org ||