Re: New lister

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New lister
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 06:35:56 -0700
Chris,

The normal procedure to remove a broken bolt or stud that still has enough
bolt sticking out of the block to get  hold of is to use a lot of liquid
wrench or PB blaster (penetrating oils) to help free up the threads.  Use
either a stud remover or vice grips to remove it.  If it doesn't want to
budge, I usually apply some heat with a propane torch to the bolt and try
moving the bolt both ways (tighten and loosen) and it should finally come
out.  I usually tap the broken stud with a hammer lightly also to help the
penetrating oil get into the threads.  Many times it has taken a couple of
days of soaking with penetrating oil and heat and pounding before it breaks
loose.  Since you have something to get hold of, you don't want to break it
off flush with the block and have to drill it and use an easy-out although
they work also.

I'm not sure what you mean by reverse threads as studs screw in the same way
as bolts (clockwise) and unscrew counter clockwise in most applications.  I
just went through this on one of my kids cars that broke down while she was
on a camping trip.  Car overheated and I had to replace the thermostat and
broke off one of the bolts taking the housing off.  We ended up limping back
home with one side bolted on and the other with a pair of vice grips holding
the housing to the block where the broken bolt remained.  It took a couple
of days of heating, pounding and lots of liquid wrench to get the bolt out
be it finally broke loose.  Sometimes it just takes time for the penetrating
oil to do it's job.

Good luck

Dave 72 B