Re: Upcoming weekend

To: JustBrits@aol.com, mgrick@ptd.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Upcoming weekend
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:45:50 EDT
In a message dated 5/25/00 10:10:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
JustBrits@aol.com writes:

<< Apparently NOT you!!  "Flag etiquette"??  You have "none"!!!!

 Respect and etiquette for the Flag of The United States of America (and any
 others I can think of) IS:

 "Raise to full staff and dip to half-mast as determined by event requiring
 recognition". (as best as this OF can remember from the Blue Jackets'
Manual).

 To the best of my knowledge you ARE correct on the re-raise "...at noon...".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ed is correct in stating that the flag is raised (briskly), first to full
height, then lowered (slowly) to half staff.  At noon on Memorial Day it is
raised (again, briskly) to full height.

US Flag Code:  "(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first
hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff
position. The flag should again be raised to the peak before it is lowered
for the day.
On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only,
then raised to the top of the staff."

Ed was a bit harsh in suggesting that Rick had no flag etiquette.  At least
he knew it should be half staff, and HE HAS A FLAG TO RAISE!!  Check your
area on Monday morning and see how many flags are at half staff, and later
how many that were, are raised to full height.  I bet less than 10% of the
flags are correct.

If anyone wants the entire United States Flag Code, let me know and I'll
e-mail it.  It is only a 11Kb .txt file.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport