Bent Bonnet Update

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bent Bonnet Update
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 04:44:44 +0610
After my rushed and very busy visit to San Jose I return to do all the
work that I missed while I was away on top of my normal impossible
workload... with jetlag :-)  Now I can do the serious MG stuff!

I finally got around to hassling my insurance company again and they
were still pushing heavily for me to replace my bent aluminium bonnet
with a steel one.

The assessor came out for another look at my car and started making
veiled comments about the repairer that I was planning on using
(preferred restorer of my preferred MG repair shop), saying they seemed
a bit dodgy to him, and harrumphing at bits and pieces of the quote.  He
then said that NORMALLY they would replace the bonnet with a steel one
and maybe even a repainted, good condition second hand one.

I told him bluntly that I trusted my MG guys and if I put my car in for
repair with a bent aluminium bonnet and it came out with a steel one I
would consider that incompetence and/or a rip off.

He walked around the car once more in silence (I needed some other
re-painting/repairs from damage done as the bonnet ripped itself off its
hinges), closed his clipboard and headed towards the door saying over
his shoulder that I could inform my repairer that he was approving the
quote!!

If someone wasn't quite so insistant they would have been ripped off by
these guys.

But the end result is that, possibly by the end of next week, I will be
back to a single colour, Primrose MGB with an aluminium bonnet that
looks better than the rest of the car... darn, does this mean I have to
get the remainder of the little car now!?

Eric
'68MGB MkII

PS Go figure... after my last race I actually had someone suggest that I
get the new bonnet painted red because the blaze 'loaner' I had on the
car looked good out on the track.  Some people have no taste - but then
again, I have been known to want to stand out in the crowd ..... ;-)