Re: Sports Coil Plug Gap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sports Coil Plug Gap
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 22:40:17 +0000
Bob Howard wrote:

>   The fellow who was giving the Tech Session at which I heard this
> was Hal Kramer, retired electrical engineer.
> The context was T-series engines and MBTE blended fuel. Hal was
> talking about the benefit of opening the plug gap to 025 (vs the
> book's 020) and of opening the gap to 040 for the Lucas Sport Coil,
> and suggested the rule of thumb of one thou per thousand volts.
> Bob

So Bob, what is it like having your words quoted back to you after so
many years :-)  ??

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.  Strangely enough even
with the old (original) coil the spark gap wasn't too much less than
.040 - I was amazed (maybe that is where my power had dissapated to).
So I left them as such and gave the little car a try...

Now tell me that this isn't my imagination but I seem to have a
noticable increase in power at low revs... in other words, at takeoff
time.  Slightly greasy roads here (beginning of Winter) and I have been
spinning my wheels (sometimes slightly and sometimes a little too much
:-) when doing a fast takeoff at lights.  Usually a FAST takeoff just
keeps me up with other traffic.

I am noticing this increase in power through all rev ranges.  I expected
some increase (otherwise I wouldn't have bought the darn thing) but this
is quite noticable.

I am not talking turbo-boost but I certainly can feel it... and this is
without the tune-up is desperately needs.

A very cheap investment in additional power.

Thanks,

Eric
'68MGB MkII