RE: Midget advice

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Midget advice
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:10:12 -0700
I have not messed much with midgets, but I'd place the condition
of the body shell at the top of the list of priorities.
Mechanical parts can be easily removed, replaced, rebuilt, found,
etc.  If the body has much rust, especially in the under panels
such as the rockers, rear spring mounts, the boxed in area in
front of the door, etc, you are talking MAJOR repairs.  These
aren't easy or cheap to do.  I'd take a shaby car if the sheet
metal can be verified to be good.  Many nice looking cars have
had poor or just cosmetic repairs, so check for rust carefully.
If you're thinking about a rubber bumpered car, that bumper needs
to be in good shape too.

If I were to go for a midget I'd have to make my own.  I like the
concept of the MKI best as they are side curtain cars, lighter,
simpler, and more for the tinker.  The later ones with the windup
windows are more civilized, but I like the chasis better.

I'd want my midget to have the later semi-eleptic rear springs,
disk brakes and perhaps the 1275cc engine.  To get that
combinatin, I would have to start with a MII and back date parts
of the body to get it like the MK1.  As far as the engine, I
would have to think long and hard about  using the 1100 or 1275
engine.  There's something about having an under 1 litre car,
(948cc) which harks back to the original midget concept as used
in the M, C, D, J, and P type midgets.

Blake