Re: Choosing a carb for a '79B

To: dbutcher@foam.bc.ca, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Choosing a carb for a '79B
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:28:29 EDT
In a message dated 5/31/00 12:41:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dbutcher@foam.bc.ca writes:

<< I'd like to replace my stock ZS carb to improve power, reliability, fuel
economy and emissions (why not ask for everything?).  My car is a daily
driver and I need to pass our local air emission test when all is said and
done.
 So far I've heard everything -- twin HS4's, twin HS6's, single Weber
downdraft.  I think the only consensus at this point is the dual Weber
sidedraft conversion wil probably not allow me to pass emissions, so I've
ruled that out.
 I don't have first hand experience with any of these configurations.  Any
insight, advice, comments will be very  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't think you'll find a perfect carb that will improve power, reliabilty,
economy and emissions.  If you want more power, you have to burn more fuel.
If you want better mileage, there goes the power.  The way the government
wants you to pass emissions is to make the car stock.  That means rebuilding
the ZS and making sure the air pump and cat conv. are working properly.

The Weber downdraught (DGV) is a simple conversion that isn't too expensive.
It gives good power and driveability and better reliability than the ZS carb.
 Better fuel economy, but not as much power as the Weber DCOEs.  Twin DCOEs
are great for racing, but not as smooth at street legal speeds.  If you go
with twin SU carbs, you will probably get better power, but less economy.

Several people have posted that they tune the engine, replace all the
filters, change the oil, and set the carb, and they pass emissions without a
problem.  A good state of tune may be the easiest way to obtain a good
inspection.  Be aware that some states have a visual inspection to make sure
the car has everyting it is supposed to have.  A missing cat (meow) or air
pump may make it fail.

Last resort, buy a pre-emissions car.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward