Re: garage tools

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: garage tools
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:48:42 -0700
Well, here is more or less what I have on hand. For background on my shop
skills I've replaced the engine in the B, swapped to an OD tranny (not at
the same time), and previously did a complete rebuild of a Plymouth V8.
Not to mention front end rebuilds, u-joints, rear spring replacement,
regular maintenance, and occasional bodywork. Not that I'm an expert
mechanic. But I always seem to have older cars, and I'm willing to try
stuff (anyone else ever work on a Honda 600 -- air-cooled 2-cylinder
chain-drive CAR?).

1/4, 3/8 and1/2" socket sets. Ratchet drive and solid "cheater" bar drive
for each.
3/8 deep socket set
Ballpeen hammer
Small sledge
Screwdrivers, flat and Phillips, assorted lengths and sizes (I don't have
any PosiDrive yet, I keep telling myself I need some)
Large adjustable pliers
Assorted needlenose pliers
Vise-grip pliers (only for when nothing else will do)
Large and small crescent wrench (adjustable spanners)
Large adjustable spanner, the type where the jaws are at right angle to
the handle (what does one call this? truly invaluable)
Combination wrench set (1/4 to 7/8" sizes)
Box wrench set
Ratcheting box wrench set (sometimes the only thing that works)
Small combination wrench set (1/8 to 13/32")
Allen wrench set
Thread cleaner set
Tap and die set
Large steel wire brush
Small brass wire brush
Large mill file
Large round file (great for enlarging holes)
Small files (round, rat-tail)
Bench vise
Small bench grinder with wire brush wheel
3/8" variable speed reversible drill
Cheapo benchtop drill press jig for same
Cold chisel and punch set
Lots of odd metal and wood bits for banging, prying, etc.
Compression tester
Dwell tachometer
Timing light
Multimeter (mine is busted and only 2 functions work)
12V test lamp
12V air compressor (tire pump)
Fluorescent trouble lamp
Halogen work light
Ancient soldering iron (I'm pretty hopeless with it)
1.5-ton floor jack
4 jack stands
Safety eye shields
A bunch of other stuff which is useful when I can find it.
I'm sure I've forgotten some things, too. But this may help.

And why not use your B as a daily driver? Since the first (known sickly)
engine blew up 10 years ago, mine has only stranded me once -- and that
was just a wet distributor, easily remedied after it stopped raining.

Dan DiBiase had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149