RE: Ideal MGB Year?

To: "'WSpohn4@aol.com'" <WSpohn4@aol.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ideal MGB Year?
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 23:28:11 -0700
79!

(I suspect that if i didn't say so, Humphrey might throw another $400
fit...)

;-)

Actually, though, and i know this is hereasy to most people's ears, but i
like the look of the rubber bumber cars far better. I must admit though,
that the smog gear is a royal ball-ache... all sorts of piggish
complications. Also note that particular components are easier to get at in
different models. Thus the tranny oil has to be checked from under the car
on mine, but can be checked from above the car in earlier models (talk about
devolution).

* change subject

gave humphrey some TLC today. i got in and aquainted myself with his
repaired ignition system, and pulled out the partially disconnected
non-functional electronic ignition system (did i mention this: the PO had
installed one EI, on top of another EI that had not been properly removed!).
Everything is a lot less cluttered on the right hand side of the engine bay
now, and lots of ugly taped up wires removed. Good god, the ignition circuit
is actually understandable as well!

to do list:

minor expense:
- wash. wax.
- find some bloody touch up paint. (I'm going to try when i'm in england for
my sister's birthday in a couple of weeks)

major expense:
- Get the vacuum advance working so that i can back the ignition timing off
(it was set - by the PO i presume - 10 degrees ahead to compensate, and
seeing as most of my driving is on the freeway i can live with this for now)
- carb overhaul
- front springs replaced / front bushings replaced (he still has the
original rubber ones) / minor steering play corrected
- find an overdrive, and go visit mary poppins in cloud cuckoo land for tea
and cookies

hmmm, on my budget this may take a month or two!

ho hum

cheers

Joe.

_________________