Re: Ideal MGB Year?

To: "Dan DiBiase" <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ideal MGB Year?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:40:47 -0700
Maybe the subject line should have been "can of worms"...

: )

...but since you asked, my opinion is '66-67. Chrome bumpers, original
grill, leather seats, clean classic dash, 5-main engine, no smog gear at
all, highest HP output (98HP @ 5400RPM, 107 ft/lb @ 3500 RPNM). '63-65
would be a close runner-up.

In contrast the '71 had the "Abingdon pillow" dash (at least in the US)
and the recessed grill (my least favorite of the three CBB variants), and
vinyl seats. In its favor (safety-wise) it had headrests. Against that it
had the incredibly clumsy shoulder belt mounting point on the rear deck.
It is also burdened with an air pump and evaporative loss control system,
leading to slightly reduced output, although more torque, curiously (92HP
@ 5400RPM, 110 ft/lb @ 3000RPM). Appearance-wise it has the stuck-on
looking side marker reflectors, and busy two-tone taillights and front
marker lights (admittedly these are trivial matters, but I have a
fondness for the clean fenders and monochromatic lamps of the earlier
cars). Then again, reversing lamps are handy. The triple-wiper syndrome
is good for starting conversations, but looks a little crowded, to my way
of thinking.

I am not sure why the '71 would be particularly favored over the other
'68 through '72 vintages. I might prefer the classic grill '68-69 models.
But I am not familiar with all the minor changes through these years.

The '73-74 cars lost significant horsepower, and then the rubber bumper
cars are a whole different kettle of fish. You either like them or you
don't. But...

...the great thing about MGBs is, there is something to say in favor of
just about any year (even for the performance nadir years of '75-76, one
can always modify or "backdate" one's car to suit one's requirements,
within local regulations). This leads to interesting discussions, and
keeps the field open by not making one or two years prohibitively
expensive due to perceived "desirability" (unlike some other classics).
It is truly a case of "YMMV" and "IMO"... you don't have to defend your
choice, you only have to please yourself.

In other words, I don't expect a clear "consensus" to emerge -- but
that's cool.

Dan DiBiase had this to say:

--

Max Heim