Re: Squeak at downshift-Reply

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Squeak at downshift-Reply
From: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 16:29:24 +0930
On Saturday, June 03, 2000 Max observed

> Hmmm, I never felt that downshifting to use engine braking was a good
> idea. Look at it this way -- brake pads are cheap and a half-hour job to
> replace. Clutches are real money (considering the associated >components)
and a weekend job, at best. And if you have to pay someone >else to do it,
well, you could have bought fifty cases of brake pads!

>From another angle altogether, if you use the brakes to slow down, any
following drivers 'should' see your brake lights.  If you're going to use
the engine to slow down, a dab on the brake pedal to warn the guy behind you
that you 'are' slowing down would be a good defensive driving technique,
IMHO-YMMV.  The last line of Max's response is all the reasons I'd need.
8^).

Scotty,
Who always used the brakes when racing.
MGB-LE daily driver.