Re: Exhaust pipe length / diameter

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust pipe length / diameter
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:22:34 -0700
At one time it was believed that performance and pleasurable sounds would
be increased by eliminating the muffler while on the open road (away from
cities and innocent populace). This was done by the addition of a cast
iron Y-pipe in the exhaust. A flap would divert flow away from the
muffler, giving an open exhaust, when operated by a cable up through the
cockpit floor. These devices were in the JC Whitney catalog not too long
ago. They may still be available. Actually, there wouldn't seem to be any
harm in such a setup if used judiciously. If you roared by the same
suburb every morning on your way to work, however, someone might get
P.O.'ed sufficiently to alert the Highway Patrol.

Charles D. Sorkin had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149