68B new with questions

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 68B new with questions
From: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:14:27 -0400
Listers,

Yesterday I bought a 1968 MGB for my birthday. The car is in fair shape
overall but has a few issues that lead to a few questions...

First the good news, it has prefect compression across all cylinders ~160,
little rust, and is very original... Note: I will be replacing all hoses
ASAP, already have them, safety fast!!!

Now the questions:

1) What size tires did a 68B with disk wheels have? Any recommendations?
2) The speedometer surges. At all speeds the needle jumps within a 10-15 MPH
range and bounces back to what appears to be the true speed. Does the cable
need a good lube? Bad gauge?
3) The oil pressure was good but the gauge seems to stick some. Also, does
oil viscosity play a role in oil pressure? As I drove, two hour drive home,
the pressure dropped. After one hour it was around 25-30#. The current oil
in the sump is 10W-30 NOT 20W-50 as most would run.
4) RPMs seem high. At 70 MPH what should the RPMs be? Also, how do I
diagnose the RPM gauge?

Thanks in advance...

Frank Phillips
'68B