Re: Multimeter

To: fwp@ufl.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Multimeter
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:33:05 EDT
In a message dated 6/8/00 10:49:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fwp@ufl.edu
writes:

<< My new 68B has several electrical problems that I need to correct. I plan
 buy a multimeter ASAP! What features are a "must have" for MG electrical
 work? Anyone have a Sears Craftsman they like? I would like to keep the cost
 under $60. Thanks... >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

All you really need is to be able to read voltage (all multitesters will read
DC and AC in a variety of ranges) and resistance, which is called OHMs.  You
can buy a decent enough meter for $10 at Harbor Freight and it will do
everything you need to do for automotive electrical repairs.  Radio Shack has
inexpensive meters too.

If you spend more, you will get increased range and some nice features like
auto-ranging, so you don't have to pick what range of voltage you want to
test.  A meter with a "beep" to signal continuity is handy for finding
shorts.  (I left my shorts in the car, and was able to find them very quickly
with my meter!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget