RE: Multimeter

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Multimeter
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:04:02 -0700
2 Bits.

> All good answers on the multimeter. Big thing is get one.

        Get two, they are small.  Seriously, small meters are cheap enough
that they can be included in the trunk toolkit.  I had to fault find a
starting problem the other day, I could have really used a meter.  Shorting
a piece of scrap wire to ground is no way to test a circuit.  Luckily it
worked and I fixed the problem.

> Small thing, but the audible continuity alarm on a digital is
> sometimes handy when u got your head stuck under the hood or
> instrument panel and can't see the multimeter.

        Seconded.  Continuity alarms are nice to have.

        Addition.  The leads that normally come with cheap meters are next
to useless.  When they fail, invest in a set of leads from an electronic
supply store.  They will probably cost as much as the cheap meter, but come
with alligator clips that screw onto the probes.  For the toolbox also make
up a couple of large alligator clips that can clamp onto a bolt head and
give a good ground point.  Many probe clips are not big enough, or do not
have enough tension to quarantee a good connection through dirt and oil.

Kelvin.