Re: Tube shock conversion data

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversion data
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:53:57 -0700
Tim,

Peter Burgess' book on "How to power tune MGB engines" has a chapter on
suspension which basically indicates that you should renew the lever arm
shocks and rubber bushings and springs to "like new" condition and note how
well the car handles.  Then, if you want to rally or race your car, you can
investigate converting to tube shocks and a double wishbone front suspension
with tubes.  The gist of the article is that the MG's handle quite well as
designed.

I know that my 72 B doesn't handle as well as it did when it was new, but at
$100 per copy for rebuilt shocks, I haven't done anything about it.  When
new, the car with 165 SR 14 steel belted tires handled very well and was
very controllable in 4 wheel drifts.  Of course I was a lot younger then and
tended to test it out a lot more than I do now.

Dave 72 B, a little saggy at this stage (the car not me).