Fuel and Lever Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel and Lever Question
From: Cynthia_Cameron@icoc.org
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 06:26:27 -0400
Folks, let me first say I am very grateful to have found a bunch of people
such as you. Your posts have already been tremendously helpful, and tho at
this stage of the game this newbie 73 MGB owner may be more of a "taker"
from the group, I fully intend to be a "giver" as soon as I can!

Here's a couple of questions - please excuse the naivete.........

1) Fuel smell while driving - frequent whiffs of gasoline. No apparent fuel
leak - is this an anomaly of the SU carbs, or should I be worried about
blowing up? (I hate it when that happens......). If this is not a common
experience, then I guess I better spend some time figuring out quick what
the problem is.

2) Not having a manual (yet) I am trying to figure out what 2 things are in
my cockpit. One is a 3-position lever near my right knee while driving - I
am guessing it is a vent lever - but for the life of me cannot figure out
which position does what. Any ideas?
The second unknown is some kind of light fixture on my dash. It is in the
top left corner; rectangular black frame with a red lens and a black
knurled pushbutton of some sort. Don't have a clue as to what that is for.

PS - thought you would appreciate this - last week, changing the oil for
the first time; likely the first time in a LONG time. I cannot for the life
of me get the upright oil filter off - it's rusted on. Ticked me off that
of all things, an OIL FILTER was rusted on! Tried a screwdriver through the
filter body, couldn't get the angle, etc. I finally put a tie-rod end
separator (pickle fork) vertically down thru the cannister, and then used a
pipe wrench to turn the arm of the pickle fork. The soft metal of the
filter held enough to be able to get the darn thing off, with a lot of
torque..........! After I calmed down, I had to laugh...............

Thanks again! - Doug