Re: Fuel and Lever Question

To: <Cynthia_Cameron@icoc.org>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel and Lever Question
From: "Christopher W. Reichle" <creichle@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 23:58:05 -0400

> 1) Fuel smell while driving - frequent whiffs of gasoline. No apparent
fuel
> leak - is this an anomaly of the SU carbs, or should I be worried about
> blowing up? (I hate it when that happens......). If this is not a common
> experience, then I guess I better spend some time figuring out quick what
> the problem is.
Check the evaporative loss control system. This is the system that vents the
gas tank and eventually routes any sources of gas vapor through the charcoal
canister filters (passenger side in front of firewall) and links into the
PCV system. If any part of this system has been modefied or damaged, you
could get gas fumes in the passenger compartment. Depending on the year of
the car, there is a separator unit in the trunk on the passenger side wall
that vented fumes go through before being routed up to the charcoal
canisters. When these lines get rotted you smell gas, especially in the
trunk. So check all of the rubber lines.

> 2) Not having a manual (yet) I am trying to figure out what 2 things are
in
> my cockpit. One is a 3-position lever near my right knee while driving - I
> am guessing it is a vent lever - but for the life of me cannot figure out
> which position does what. Any ideas?
I believe you are describing the fresh air vent. The lever opens a door when
it is pulled towards you. Air enters in front of the windshield and either
gets routed through the heater, the center vents on a late model, or the
fresh air vent which is located behind the radio position.