Re: Fuel and Lever Question

To: Cynthia_Cameron@icoc.org
Subject: Re: Fuel and Lever Question
From: David Lynes <cdlynes@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:39:41 -0400
Hi Doug/Cynthia

A couple of things you may want to check, these things happened to me, so i
speak from first hand experience, not from a mechanic's point of view...

1. Check the fuel lines running to the bottom of the carbs. After I rebuilt
mine a few years ago with a kit from Victoria British, the plastic fuel lines
were quickly dissolved by the gas and were leaking fuel onto the exhaust. (not
good) I replaced them with rubber lines and it was fine.

2. The tops of the fuel tank are notorious for rusting out. Moisture from the
air condenses in the top of the tank, plus trapped dirt and grit from the road
seems to hold water from the road on the tank, making it a great place for rust
to form.  The tank can look fine from under the car, but when you drop it down,
there could be gaping holes.  I thought my gas smell was coming from a porous
fill pipe, but it turned out to be from the tank itself.

As for the button with the red light, it is a brake warning light, connected to
a sensor in the brake lines. You are supposed to push the button occasionally
to check it.  The lever, I don't know about.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

David Lynes, Woodstock, GA
73 Midget
78 MGB