Re: Brake Fluid

To: mrazor@mis.net
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:35:51 -0400
Mike,
  The overdrive is marvellous to have.  22 mph per M rpm means quieter
cruising.  Surprisingly, John Twist says that it has no effect on engine
life. I know from experience, though, that it has a most beneficial
effect on the driver's life.
  Real turn signals--aren't they what you make with your arm?  These
new-fangled electrical units are sure nice in rainy weather, if they
work.
  In 1975, the EPA in its infinite wisdom, tightened emissions standards
to the point that MG felt they could be met with only the single
Zenith-Stromberg carb. This ZS can deliver darn good fuel mileage. I
regularly achieved 33+ on the highway with my '75 that didn't have OD.
There is said to be less evaporation of fuel from the carb itself
too-notice how it's all a closed up sort of unit.  Kept clean and
adjusted (then leave it alone) it will work well and happily. The ZS carb
gets a bad rap--it's better than the reputation would have it.
  Where these cars suffer is from the changes in valve timing,
compression, and the much more restricted exhaust manifold when compared
to earlier MGBs as this reduced the net horsepower by 10-15 (arguments
happen often on this issue) at the very time that the cars were getting
heavier because of safety and comfort considerations.
Bob