Re: Fluid for Lever Shocks

To: "Chris Attias" <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>,
Subject: Re: Fluid for Lever Shocks
From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:14:13 -0700
I'm afraid that may be another piece of urban folklore, Chris!

Back in the '70s, when I built my boat-tailed TD racecar, I filled the front
shocks with straight STP on the advice of someone who said that would make
them nice and firm. It did, indeed, although to my later surprise (as I
became older and wiser!) they still functioned quite well.

In 6,000 or so miles of vigorous use, before I sold the car in 1989, the
shocks had neither leaked nor blown up. Since the viscosity of STP must,
surely, exceed that of most gear oils, see again paragraph 1, above.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center