Re: Soda blasting

To: MGMagnette@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Soda blasting
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 20:49:43 -0600
Well, I did mention that the silica, which would be a major component of
the coal slag, would be in the oxide form. Coal slag is usually bottom coal
ash that has exceeded its melting point. And as oxides, the material is
relatively inert and safe, contrary to what some environmentalists say. I
actually am not too familiar with the free silica issue. I've been out of
the testing business for five years and can only remember a few requests
for free silica testing, even when I did air quality. Most particulates are
hazardous if they get in your lungs, depending on composition, shape, and
size. So whether you are blasting with coal slag or sand, a dust mask or
respirator would still be advisable.

I hope this Black Beauty stuff is not too expensive. Its essentially
recycling an abundant waste product, which is a good thing. I know the
power plants were trying to find a use for their slag and the ones I worked
for in Utah actually were trying to use it and market it for sanding winter
roads.

David