Re: Originality

To: "Alan" <Alan@health.co.zw>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:00:34 -0400
In my opinion it is very difficult to "destroy" the character of these
cars. If you want a car that is dependable and fun to drive then modify
to your hearts content. If you want a 100 point restoration, then it
obviously must be 100% original. Most people opt for some where in the
middle of a full restoration and a complete reconstruction until it is
something else. (see the electric MGA and Midget projects as examples).
In my case I replaced the mirrors so I can see, replaced the ZS carb and
the stock exhaust, so I can drive. Other than that the car is pretty near
original, and unrestored. And still a lot of fun to drive.

It is your car - your call.

Larry

At this exact moment in time 6/23/00 4:18, Alan@health.co.zw made the
profound statement:

>I've owned a '71BGT for a few months and am enjoying the
>pleasures of owning what is here in Zimbabwe a very rare car.
>However I am now  beginning to  wonder about the effectiveness of
>some of the original parts fitted to the car.  All MGs are based on
>mechanicals from very ordinary family saloons which were
>designed to provide reliable service at a low price. Performance
>considerations were not taken into account. Thus we have iron
>cylinder heads, lever arm dampers, leaf springs, drum brakes etc
>etc. It is interesting to speculate what these cars would be like if
>the enthusiasts in the design department had been able to utilize
>"ideal" components rather than "available" components.
>
>There is therefore a strong argument for replacing certain
>components with  items intrinsically more suitable for the task than
>the original part. The problem with this is the originality question.
>Should MGs be kept as near as possible to the manufacturers
>specification or is deviation from standard permitted in the interest
>of improved performance and/or reliability?
>
>My own vehicle appears to be very close to the makers
>specification (European version), and I am consequently reluctant
>to meddle with it. But I am becoming increasingly impatient with
>the poor suspension control provided by the dampers, the very
>heavy pedal pressure required to stop the vehicle(no servo) and the
>pathetic push button windscreen washer. I would like to change all
>these things.
>
>How far is it permissible to go in terms of modifications before
>accusations of destroying the character of the car begin flying
>around?  Is the criteria that any modification should be acceptable
>as long as it is reversible valid or can you argue that if the change
>makes the car perform better then it is permissible, regardless of
>reversability,  bearing in mind that performance is what the car is
>supposed to be about?
>
> I look forward to reading the responses.
>

>Alan Morrison

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up