Re: Dash Top Cover

To: rsexson@excite.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dash Top Cover
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 09:02:14 EDT
In a message dated 00-06-24 12:45:04 EDT, rsexson@excite.com writes:

<< Does anyone know anything about installing a vinal dash top cover? >>

I did it to a GT several months ago, and generally got good results.  It is a
pain keeping pressure all along the cover as it dries, and while I laughed at
the instructions that recommended mashing roles of toilet paper to hold the
thing down, in the end that was the way to go.

I did have some trouble with fit.  The cover wasn't quite big enough, and I
ended with a slight split on the bottom of the passenger side that I have yet
to patch.  Also, I had to grind away a lot of the bad parts of the cracked
and buckled old dash with a sur-form, but I expected that.  Instructions also
tell you to be careful with the adhesive.  Also true.  I have one spot that
is not well adhered, and I have to fid a way to attach that after the fact.

My roadster already had one of these patch tops on it when I bought it--took
be six months to realize.  It still looks good 3 years later.  This may not
be the purist way to fix a nasty looking dash, but the results are
near-original in appearance.

Jay Donoghue
72 B
72 B-GT